Sunshine Coast Environment Council
Welcome to the Sunshine Coast Environment Council, the peak environmental advocacy group on the Sunshine Coast. SCEC represents over 40 community groups working on environmental protection, conservation, natural resource management and sustainability.
- Poll says environment laws shouldn’t be weakened
- Two massive projects-one special forest. Time to save it!
- Senate inaction threatens places Australians love
- Petition to keep motorsports out of Mooloolah Logging Area
- UN rules Reef in trouble-Places You Love media release
- Halls Creek Community Forum
- States can’t handle environment laws
- OAM for SCEC Life Member-Jenifer Simpson
- Poll says environment laws shouldn’t be weakened 23/07/2014
Australians reject Abbott Government’s efforts to fast track fracking, dredging and deforestation
23 July 2014
The Places You Love Alliance, a coalition of over 42 Australian environment groups, has called on the Abbott Government to abandon its attempt to wind back environmental protections, given they lack popular support and will damage Australia’s environmental assets.
A new poll has found only eleven per cent of people think that there should be less regulation of the impact of major developments on the environment. Read more
- Two massive projects-one special forest. Time to save it! 10/07/2014
This composite map shows the combined impact on native vegetation with its high environmental and amenity values from the proposed 534ha off-road motorcycling facility within the Mooloolah Logging Area AND the upgrade of the Caloundra Road to Steve Irwin Way section interchange as stage 1 for the proposed future upgrade of the Bruce Highway. It’s a massive and important area. If these two projects go ahead as currently proposed, they will irreversibly alter the character and biodiversity of the region forever. Read more
- Senate inaction threatens places Australians love 24/06/2014
Tuesday 24 June 2014
The places Australians love face increased threats after the Environment and Communications Senate Committee recommended yesterday that environment approval powers be devolved to state governments.
- Petition to keep motorsports out of Mooloolah Logging Area 19/06/2014
SCEC remains concerned that the state government is pushing ahead with the establishment of a motorsports precinct, starting with an off-road motorcycling facility, within the Mooloolah Logging Area. This proposal has bypassed community consultation or due consideration of more suitable alternative sites. We need to act urgently to prevent the loss of biodiversity values and an important part of a key bio-regional corridor.