The site is in the area designated by the Sunshine Coast Regional Council in partnership with the State Government and Unity Water, as the “Blue Heart” – Blue Carbon initiative. This is a worthy initiative that should be progressed to its maximum extent (5,000 ha) for the multiple benefits it would provide. These benefits include;
- The Blue Heart will strengthen the Maroochy-Noosa Wallum Corridor;
- The area has high biodiversity values as recognised at a state and national level;
- Regional climate resilience;
- Catchment-wide flood mitigation, storage and conveyance;
- Ecological restoration and enhancement;
- Economic and environmental benefits derived from carbon sequestration and ecosystem services;
- Nature-based (low impact) ecotourism and cultural tourism opportunities;
- Significant and enduring regional community and social benefits such as parklands, sports fields and open space; and
- Scenic and visual amenity.
A project such as that currently proposed by Consolidated Properties would irrevocably undermine and negatively impact on the considerable merits and long-term, sustainable public interest benefits of the Blue Heart.