SCEC has been working with a number of organisations to raise awareness among the community about single-use plastic use and the impact it has on the marine environment. Below are some of the initiatives SCEC have been involved in:
- Working with the Boomerang Alliance since 2015 to raise awareness in the community about the benefits of a Container Deposit Scheme and total plastic bag ban through a media stunt at Noosa Main Beach in January 2016.
- Ensuring World Environment Day (WED) Festival is a single-use-plastic free event! Something we're very proud of!
- Incorporating plastic into displays, craft workshops and art installations at WED Festival as an informative tool for education.
- Incorporating the Unity Water hydration station and reusable drinking canisters for guests at WED Festival.
- Attending the launch of the Boomerang Alliance Threat Abatement Plan on Marine Plastic.
- Speaking on the panel at the Sunshine Coast Council screening of 'A Plastic Ocean.'
- Writing a submission on the discussion paper on the Waste Reduction and Recycling Amendment Bill 2017.
- Working with the Plastic Free Noosa campaign team to bring about powerful local change in the community.