In 2016, SCEC decided to take a look at the catch data available online through the Department of Fisheries. Astounded by the amount of by-catch on the Sunshine Coast alone, SCEC decided to take up the matter as a campaign. Since then, SCEC has:
- Analysed publicly available information and extracted data specific to the Sunshine Coast to determine local catch statistics.
- Made a submission to the Senate Inquiry into Shark Mitigation and Deterrent Measures. This is a great document to read for anyone new to the subject!
- Provided evidence at the Senate Inquiry public hearing in Byron Bay on May 2nd, 2017 (pictured).
- Supported Coolum & North Shore Coast Care at the Senate Inquiry public hearing in Brisbane on July 31st, 2017.
- Invited key decision makers within Noosa Council and Sunshine Coast Council to meet and support the removal of shark nets on the Sunshine Coast during Humpback Whale Migration Season. Support has also been sought for the trial of specific modern technology in canals.