The Sunshine Coast Council held a special meeting on Tues 30 September to consider amendments to the recently adopted planning scheme - these are likely to allow Sekisui House to develop high rise hotels and apartments on the beach in Yaroomba. And possibly, Bokarina. This is the thin edge of wedge to allowing inappropriate high-rise development along our famously low-rise, environmentally significant natural coastline.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
1. SIGN THE PETITION TO THE MAYOR AND COUNCILLORS HERE.
2. URGENTLY WRITE DIRECTLY TO THE MAYOR AND COUNCILLORS
Write to all councillors making it clear that you do NOT want the Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme amended to allow high rise development.
The changes to the planning scheme will affect the whole of the Sunshine Coast ..not just Yaroomba.
We need to preserve the natural environment that we value and enjoy and that tourists, who do not want a Gold Coast style experience, also rate highly and value. Why?the community made their views clear in the consultation leading up to the current Planning Scheme gazetted in May 2014. We do NOT want high rise.
- Councillors should respect the views of their community
- Recent tourism reports confirm that tourists love the natural environment that exists here on the coast – there is no need to replicate the intense development (like the Gold Coast) to attract tourists – we are already attracting more new visitors than the Gold Coast. We should be encouraging tourists who want what we have, and not try to compete with other South East Qld tourist centres.
- The community doesn’t want high rise
- as the Head of Australian Tourism pointed out, a five star resort can be low rise and fit into its enviromnent – we can accept low rise, low impact development sympathetic the natural environment and local amenity
- this stretch of coastline has critical nesting sites for endangered turtles. They will be negatively impacted by light pollution & high-rise development
- Sekisui and Council seem to be on their own promoting high rise at Yaroomba – even other developers and ex-Mayors don’t think it’s a good idea!
- the ‘concept plans’ put out recently by Sekisiui are even worse than we could have imagined. There has been no scare-mongering. The community’s justified concerns have been borne out by a proposal that is so intense in scale & density that it shouldn’t even be contemplated
- Sekisui will not take any responsibility or vouch for what is being presented in its proposal as part of its ‘community consultation’. They are conceptual only -so no guarantee a different version may result. Better or worse? Well, that’s up them & Council. Or US!?
- The coast’s vulnerability to climate change & extreme weather events means that putting intensive development and thousands of people in this and other locations in the coastal zone like Bokarina is incredibly irresponsible.
- There are already too many legacies of poor planning decisions – don’t perpetuate more!
TELL THEM: 'Please vote against any amendment that would allow high-rise'
Email addresses for local councillors are:
firstname.lastname@example.org & put “Attention Mayor Jamieson” in the subject line
Full details: Councillor contacts